jueves, 20 de junio de 2013

A piece of art - Bosch

 
 
 
 
The Garden of Earthly Delights
1503-1504
Oil on wood
220 x 389cm
Museo del Prado, Madrid, Spain.
 

 

The Garden of Earthly Delights

 
 
-How and when I saw it
 
I'm not sure about the first time I saw this painting. But, let's see. The last year I remember have stayed a lot in the faculty working for a classes, and of course, until the next day. The fact is that a friend of mine used to work too, so, some days we passed studying together. In middle of the night, and after a few hours of work, you should know how hard is keeping concentration, so we made stops and just distracted ourselves for a bit. Then, in one of our conversations, he talked me about The Garden of Earthly Delights; we were with our computers so he searched it. When I saw that work I though  I maybe saw it before, but, as I told first, not sure of it.
 

-Why I like it

If you have read some of my old posts, you will see how much I like medieval and sacral topics. Well, this pic is full of them and when you like thinking about things, I'm sure this will make your day. It's just sometimes I can't believe, there's so much information that involves, people mind, religion, moral, etc. reunited in a piece of art.


-About the painting

This friend of mine studied some years of history and literature, so he knew a bit about meanings and symbols in the painting. I was and right now I am still amazed of all the draw content, the painting is just like a big book talking about medieval age thinking and when you take your time to see, it's impressive all the information you would discover.

The work describes in a surrealistic manner three scenes:
1) The Paradise
2) The Purgatory
3) The Inferno
And each scene is a different part of the painting that is in fact a  triptych.


Hieronymos Bosch


(1450-1516) Was an Early Netherlandish painter known for his  especial form of illustrate (right now, we know it as surrealism) about moral and religion.
He used to paint triptych, but,  his most know one, is The Garden of Earthly Delights.














3 comentarios:

  1. I have always like this type of paintings... cause they have different meanings..

    ResponderBorrar
  2. The style of this painting reminds me of Jan Van Eyck's works. The medieval art is certainly interesting.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. I like this painting, and thanks for the explanation.

    ResponderBorrar