jueves, 4 de abril de 2013

The day's book: Il nome della Rosa





Author: Umberto Eco
1a Ed: 1980

Il nome della rosa it's what I'm going to talk you today.
I can recommend such a nice book for those ones like me who like medieval stories, mystery, terrible murders and a big mind putting all his enforces to discover a veiled truth.
At the first moment, I thought the book's story was full of  quite a big investigation behind it, because, Eco, could tell us, a pretty complete context, where symbols are posed in every part.


The main story 
The development happens in a monastery in the year 1327, about two weeks of great mystery.
William de Barskerville, a pretty smart franciscan, travel with his little disciple Also de Melk, to a lost monastery on mountains, specifically Italy. At a time like that, franciscans, the order, are in trouble to live its religious ideology of austerity; and, because of that, are looking a meeting with the pope to get peace with him and the Vatican.
Above that, the main event are 7 different murders related with prophecies. And William actions take form trying to discover what's going on in such an apparently sacral place.


Thinking...
Umberto Eco, is a very well known Italian thinker,  and a man of semiotics. I'd like to mention this, because Il nome della Rosa, as I said before have a big registry of symbols and from that, a lot of signs.
An interesting and common topic of discussion is- and I left it to you- what's the meaning of the rose in the title?
We need considering the rose has lots of signification, and it depends on context. From that, we should obtain a  mix of analogies and maybe, could reach the knowledge of main purpose.

-.-

I read the book aproximately six years ago, when I was in high school. I remember myself seeking for sacral stories and because of that, I pick it up. The little details are -lamentably- forgotten in my conciousness.

Don't loose the oportunity of  read it. 

*

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus"

See you soon guys!
     





6 comentarios:

  1. I saw the movie, it was a good film. I had to analyzed it in my history class. Probably the book is even better, i'll put it in my book list to read.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for paying attention To this amazing story

      So, perfect! I hope you do.

      Borrar
  2. Dear Elizabeth, this story is amazing. I never have read this book but I watched the movie and i loved it! I never have read it because is a very long book but is very interesting!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Yeah! I believe it so. I wish you to have the opportunity of giving yourself a time to read it on future.

      Borrar
  3. We (graphic designes) must read these book, it's importan to us because monks like them were pioneers in editorial design, obviously they didn't use that term.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. If you enjoy unravel the book elements and investigate, like the topic you mention, this book could be a real guide to a wider knowledge.

      Borrar